Some of the structural challenges involved in the project were as follows:
- Construction of a new basement, including two front light wells and rear external patio at basement level using contiguous piling along the sites in a very restricted area and with a very high water level. The basement houses a new cinema and play area with access to the external patio.
- Internal pile design/placement to allow for the support of the spine walls now and the construction of the basement later.
- Connection between the piles and the existing walls with steel needle beams.
- Adding a rear extension in steel frame construction, with a 7m wide opening, required for the rear extensions folding/sliding doors.
- The support and structure of the proposed and existing first floor walls.
- The internal spine load bearing brick wall was replaced by steel columns that support a steel beam/frame at each floor level.