The Rose was built in 1587 by Philip Henslowe and John Cholmley. It was the ﬁrst Elizabethan theatre on London’s Bankside. At least two of Shakespeare’s plays were performed at the Rose.
The building was constructed of timber, with a lath and plaster exterior and thatch roof. In shape it was a fourteen-sided polygon, of about 72 feet (22 m) in external diameter.
Fluid were appointed as structural engineers for the Rose revealed project, which aims to complete the excavation of the remains, establish the existing conservation regime and provide public access to the space. In developing the structural scheme our role required close collaboration with the Rose Theatre Trust, the project archaeologist and English Heritage to ensure that the structural design complemented the proposed further archaeological excavations and did not compromise the conservation requirements of the remains.
As a scheduled ancient monument the structural design was tailored to minimise the impact of the structural scheme and all construction processes on the existing remains.